Sunday, 22 November 2009

Second Update from Germany

Hallo Kanada!  It’s been a while, I know, I’m sorry!                              
I’ve had some really cool experiences in the past two months.  My German has really been improving (it’s still pretty bad, but at least I can speak a bit more and understand a lot more), my friend from school have  really helped a lot, by speaking to me in German and being patient while I try to fumble my way through understanding and replying.  My friends are also really nice in not thinking I’m a complete idiot for messing up the time.  I don’t know if I will ever get the time here right!  They use the 24 hour clock AND they say it in a different way, so say it was 7:30, well I would have to say “Halb acht,” which directly translated means, “Half eight.”  It is just really confusing translating and then figuring out what time it is really and then remembering the correct time after all that translating and converting, so far I’ve only been too early and not too late, so I have that to be thankful for. 
During my October school break of two weeks my host parents and I went to Dresden to the museum there with all the King’s famous collections of art and porcelain, which had been restored after the second world war.  We spent almost 4 hours in the art collection, and we still didn’t see everything!  I got to see the famous Sistine Madonna, which was huge.  After we ate we went back and looked at the porcelain collection, which was fabulous.  This is a picture of me on the terrace overlooking the courtyard of the King’s Collection. 
My host parents also took me to Seiffen, the village where the famous Christmas Pyramids come from.  All true German Christmas Pyramids come from Seiffen, the little village on the edge of the border between Germany and the Czech Republic.  There were so many shops filled with thousands of pyramids, nutcrackers, little wooden figurines.  Everything was quite expensive but it was all handmade.  I got to see one of the big workshops wear people were carving or painting all the tiny little figures, it was very cool and I understood a bit better why everything was so expensive.  The picture of me is from Seiffen, I am standing in front of a giant Christmas pyramid.       
Well that’s all for now!  I hope all is well as you are getting into the Christmas spirit.
Love, Kammy

No comments:

Post a Comment